- 3 lbs. lentils
- 1 lb. carrots – 1cm cubes
- 2 huge (or 3 reasonable size) sweet potatoes – 1cm cubes
- 1 bunch celery sliced
- 6 onions diced
- 8 to 10 cloves garlic pressed
- 12 small beets – 1cm cubes
- all the greens from those beets – chopped
- 2 tsp. thyme
- salt & pepper
- olive oil
Bring a big pot of water to a boil. Add lentils and 2 tsp. thyme. Cook until done. Meanwhile, saute’ veggies, except greens, in olive oil in batches. Add small amounts of water as needed to braise until tender. When veggies are cooked, combine with lentils & chopped beet greens and add salt and pepper as desired. Put it in the oven to slow cook at 200° for a few hours.
It makes a whole mess of food! We use an agate wash basin. It was full to the brim. The people loved it.