This dish by Miss April, took some explaining to our men and women on the street. It is not the prettiest, with the black rice. Once a few tried it and the word spread of how tasty it was, we had no problem ‘selling’ the rest. This recipe does not use soy sauce, because we do not use soy personally, because it is impossible to get non-GMO and the nutritional effects are questionable. If we would not eat it ourselves, we do not serve it to others. The people truly appreciate this. Many had never heard of black rice. Black rice has more powerful natural antioxidant per spoonful than blueberries. It is a natural anti-inflammatory and helps prevent cancer, heart attacks and Alzheimer’s disease. Sometimes what you don’t know about can help you. It pays to try new things.
- 5 cups black rice or mahogany rice, cook in 10 cups water
- 1 lb. carrots, shredded
- 1 bunch celery , sliced
- 1 large Napa cabbage, thinly sliced
- 2 large Spanish onions, finely chopped
- 1-1/2 heads garlic, minced
- 1 lb. Shitake mushrooms, stems removed, sliced thin
- 1 lb. Crimini / baby bella mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 4 Tablespoons coconut aminos (instead of soy sauce)
- 3 Tablespoons ginger fresh grated
- salt & pepper
- olive oil
Saute’ carrots & celery slightly and transfer to large turkey roasting pan. Saute’ cabbage until wilted, adding coconut aminos and ginger. Transfer to roasting pan. Saute’ onions, garlic and mushrooms, adding salt & pepper, until soft. Stir into pan with other veggies and rice. Cover and keep warm in oven at 200º until ready to leave for the city.